Crocs

Crocs

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Christmas Pictures

I'm trying to come up with a cute photo idea for Carter's first Christmas.
I saw some beautiful pictures of babies with strings of lights and thought I'd give it a try.
The thing is, I know NOTHING about photography.
Like I've never dared to turn my camera to the manual setting until two days ago.
I decided to play around with the settings (It took forever just to learn how to change them!)
and see what I could come up with.
I knew I'd need some practice shots, so I grabbed Carter before his bath Friday night and gave it a try.
At barely five months old, he's not quite sitting on his own yet, so I decided to lie him down.
It actually worked out better for lighting his face, too.
I wanted a dark, moody look with nothing showing in the background.
I don't have Photoshop yet (Please, Santa!), so the only photo editing I can do is with
Microsoft Office Picture Editor, which came free with my computer.
(Does anyone know any good free photo editing software?)
Here's what our practice shot looked like:
What do you guys think?
I'm hoping one of you awesome photo-taking, blogging mommies will stumble
on this post and have some advice for me.  I know I need help.  Please be gentle, though,
as this was my VERY first attempt at shooting in manual.
My settings were F6.3, ISO 800 and I played with the metering
(Remember, I have NO idea what I'm doing!)
and I think wound up with my shutter speed around 1/15.
It was too hard to write down settings in the dark, while
trying to keep the lights out of Carter's mouth.
And I'm completely freaked out about the lead in the lights,
so I only let him touch them for a minute or less,
then he went straight into the bathtub.
Hoping to keep practicing and have some great images to share by Christmas.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice!
Oh, and my camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T3i with whatever lens came with it (EFS 18-55MM).
Linking up with Sunday Snapshot at Ni Hao Y'all.


7 comments:

  1. Love your first attempt! I am sorry, but I have the same camera, but don't really know the ins and outs of it!! I will be checking to see if anyone as any tips!!

    Hugs, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of COURSE you have the same camera, Ashley! I swear we are living parallel lives. :)

      ~ Carrie

      Delete
  2. So cute. I love it. You did a great job.
    The reflection of the lights are beautiful.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally! Love your shots of Lia playing her game with the laundry, by the way. So cute!

      Delete
  3. I think you did a brilliant job for a first go. My Advice for a free editing package is GIMP. You can get it for free from the link below and there are a TON of tutorials on youtube to help you but in general I just learned by playing with it

    Oh and I MUCH prefer Lightroom to Photoshop, not so much to learn and lets me alter my images in very subtle ways

    http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Molly, for your sweet compliment and helpful advice! I've been doing some research comparing Photoshop and Lightroom, and I think you're right, Lightroom might be better for my purposes. I haven't tried GIMP yet, but I will. Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

    ~ Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbling upon your blog from Sunday Snapshot and your little guy is so adorable!! Congrats. I can't believe you got that photo on your first attempt in manual! If you are looking to understand manual better, I highly recommend taking one of Lisa's online classes (http://www.thelongroadtochina.com/2013/11/upcoming-photography-classes.html). She is about to open enrollment for her 2014 classes and they are awesome. Check it out. Excited to follow your journey to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading your comments, so if you have a moment please let us know who's stopping by!