Crocs

Crocs

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Footprint Ghosts

There aren't many fall craft projects appropriate for a barely four-month-old,
but we wanted to give something to the grandparents to commemorate
Carter's very first Halloween.  It's Michael's second favorite holiday (after Christmas,
of course!), so it's a pretty big deal in our household.  Lots of decorations,
inside and out, lots of fall desserts being baked, "boo-ing" the neighbors with special treats,
dressing up our poor dog in ridiculous costumes and getting way more excited than we
probably should about the very few trick-or-treaters we get each year.
So we HAD to do something fun with the baby.  I looked for ideas on Pinterest and was all
set to make "handprint spiders" with black paint and wiggly eyes.  Until I discovered
that it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get an infant to open his hands all the way and keep
them open long enough to paint them and make two handprints on each canvas.
I contemplated doing it while he was asleep, but where's the fun in that?
I decided instead to save my beautifully painted orange canvases for our future daughter. 
She will more than likely be at least a year old and probably closer to two when we
bring her home from China.  And she should have a special project and grandparent gift
for HER very first Halloween, too, so those will be perfect.
For Carter, footprints seemed like a much better idea this year, and we chose to make
ghosts.  I covered a bouncy seat to protect it, stripped Carter down to a diaper, and
Daddy distracted him while Mommy tried her best to paint his ticklish feet and get
a few good prints on each canvas.  Then I added a moon to each one and gave the
ghosts their eyes.  I think they turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.
I hope the grandparents will love them, too!




We took photos of him with each one. You know,
to prove authenticity when he becomes a famous artist someday...



And we added a little poem on the back.
We chose a fun series of photos for each set of grandparents...



wrapped the artwork in orange tissue, 



then in green wrapping paper.
I added an orange ribbon, a little tag and tucked the photos in
as sort of a sneak peek!



Michael's parents were here this morning and loved their gift.
Now we're off to Carrie's parents' house to deliver theirs!
Linking up again with Sunday Snapshot at Ni Hao Y'all.







8 comments:

  1. Love them - great idea!! I might have to try to create one's with Jack - hope you don't mind!!

    Blessings, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... How cute! But I do want to point out that painting a toddler's hand is not too much easier, LOL! I've done that for Christmas presents one year and my daughter (who's a little fireball anyways) was not too keen on all the time it took to get the handprints done for the shirt I was making for my husband. Still, it was worth it as that shirt is still a prized possession to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea !!! I love the poem too. So creative!! The moons are a nice touch. We love this holiday too- it must be a Midwest thing to Boo neighbors. We really get into it too!!!
    Hope the grandparents loved your artwork - I can't imagine they wouldn't treasure it.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable gift idea! :) Where did you get that plush candy corn? It's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies R Us. There was a jack-o-lantern plush basket with the candy corn (that rattles), a spider (that crinkles) and a ghost (that squeaks), all for about ten dollars. Michael rolled his eyes and gave me a little talk about wasting money. Now he is eating his words because they've been Carter's very favorite toys for the last month. Ten bucks very well spent for a 3- to 4-month-old, IMHO!

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't want the spider or the ghost, but the candy corn is just adorable. :) Sometimes you need to splurge a little on toys.

      Delete
  5. Carrie -

    So cool how our paths have been so similar. Can't wait to follow along on your journey to your daughter!! Would love to stay in touch - my e-mail is: astibbetts@gmail.com.

    Blessings, Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading your comments, so if you have a moment please let us know who's stopping by!